Sunday, October 20, 2013

Autumn Spice Cake

I've been a widow for nine years, so it's rare for me to cook much. I like to prepare dishes that will last for several meals. I eat it once or twice, then put the remaining servings in the freezer in individual containers so I can pop one in the microwave for a quick meal.

Lately, I've been trying some new recipes thanks to trolling on Pinterest. That site is so dangerous! I could spend literally hours there every day if I didn't remind myself that looking at all the pretty pictures won't get my book finished.

I found this recipe for Autumn Spice Cake and thought it sounded good. It is deelish! Nice and moist, and the scent of spices while it's baking makes you think of autumn. I want to share it with you. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did.


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Beat butter, shortening, and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs. Add buttermilk and vanilla.

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Gradually mix into creamed mixture. Pour into 9" x 13" baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and frost with vanilla or cream cheese frosting.

Enjoy! And have a glorious autumn.

Lynn

No comments: