Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sanity Savers


I’m overwhelmed at the moment. With work and life. To the point of tears.

Don’t worry. This isn’t a whining blog. We all get overwhelmed at times so I know I’m in good company.

I’ve been filling in for the morning shift guy while he’s been on jury duty for a month. And at the same time, I got assigned four major shows that will all hit in the next two weeks. I’m working long days. No days off. I get home in time to eat dinner before I have to go to bed so I can get up at 3:00 AM to do it again. It's starting to wear on me a bit.

I find I get a little more nuts—i.e., whiny, cranky, bitchy, teary, sanctimonious, etc.—when I don’t take a few minutes for stuff that centers me.

These are my Sanity Savers

A Time Limit: I know the trial my co-worker is on will be done this week and my shows will be done in two weeks. So, it might be a hellish few days but two weeks from today, it’s done. I’ll cling to that and start checking off days.

Knitting: Spending even a few minutes with my needles and yarn seems to calm something in my soul. I don’t even know if it’s the act of knitting or just being in my house, alone. I’m your basic introvert so this is the perfect way to re-energize.

Friends: This is one often adds to my busy days because I have to take time to see them but it really does help. I’ve got three meetings for coffee or breakfast this week. It’s on my calendar and I’ll just slip away from work for a few minutes and come back calmer.

Writing: I particularly feel this one. When I’m so busy with the day job that I don’t have time to write, it weighs on me. Not really a conscious thing but I just get discontented with life. Then I spend a few hours with my characters and suddenly my mind is working again. I’ve got happy little voices in my head. Doesn’t always help with the day job but it makes the time much more entertaining.

So what do you do to save your sanity when you’re overwhelmed with the pressures of life? I’m always looking for something new to try.

7 comments:

Lynn LaFleur said...

Like you, I like needlework, except I crochet. I know how to knit, but got so frustrated when I dropped stitches that I went back to crocheting.

My favorite escape is to scrapbook. I've been doing it for about five years now and I love it. I think it uses a different creative part of my brain than my writing. When the words won't flow, I'll put aside the book for awhile and work on a scrapbook.

And, of course, reading. I love getting lost in another author's world.

Great post, Tielle!

Lynn

Unknown said...

Uh, am I one of those coffee meetings this week? Cause I could use a little break too:)

Boone

Juniper Bell said...

Great blog! I agree with Lynn about reading, it always relaxes me (at least romance does.) I also love yoga. It takes time so I often let it go in the chaos of busy-ness, but it's a wonderful sanity saver.

I hope your life gets back to normal soon!

Tam Linsey said...

I love your list! Mine is very similar these days, although I'm finding it difficult to lose myself in my own story. Maybe I should insert a sex scene to keep my interest - lol!

Pauline Trent said...

OMG, yes. I call them "Tuesday Times" ~ those times when you know, for better or worse, it will all be over *this* Tuesday (or whatever day). That's my biggest sanity saver. Along with that are baths. Very hot, very bubbly, baths. Every single night. It gives me a moment to breathe between one hectic day and the next.

Pauline Trent said...

OMG, yes. I call them "Tuesday Times" ~ those times when you know, for better or worse, it will all be over *this* Tuesday (or whatever day). That's my biggest sanity saver. Along with that are baths. Very hot, very bubbly, baths. Every single night. It gives me a moment to breathe between one hectic day and the next.

Tara Nina said...

Thanks for the great list. I never thought to do something like that but I plan to start thanks to you. Lately, all I've done is eat which has upset my entire system not to mention the excessive weight gain. Yesterday was the first day in a month that I've written and it felt amazing. Doesn't matter if it was crap but the simple act of laying down words in the form of dialogue and paragraphs was uplifting.
Thanks for the great post Tielle.
I'm creating a list today and I'm determined to walk away from the frig. LOL
Tara Nina
Hot Romance~Sexy Attitude
www.taranina.com