Wednesday, July 1, 2009

King of Pop VS King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not sure how many out there LOVED Elvis the way my mother did.
She played his 'records' on an old stereo system and sang his tunes
every chance she got. Before I got my own stereo at the ripe age of
twelve, I didn't know other singers existed. LOL
To say she loved Elvis is cutting her infatuation with the man short.
When she was sick and dying of pancreatic cancer, I was fortunate enough
to spend the last week of her life at her side. Every morning when I arrived
she would tell me that she kept hearing Elvis singing to her at night.Towards
the end of the week, she'd had enough and asked me to find the source and turn
it off. But I didn't hear it. I thought the pain meds made her hallucinate so
I simply soothed her soul by saying I'd find it and turn it off. Of course, I
didn't because I didn't hear it. The night she died, I left her room and stood
outside with my family until a nurse called me back in to retrieve her things.
When I entered the MICU, I froze. Out of one of the rooms near her, I heard
Elvis. It was low but since there were no other background noises I could hear it.
I started laughing and crying at the same time. She wasn't crazy on meds, she actually was hearing Elvis. I have a feeling, she's stalking him in heaven :)

To hear Elvis being compared to a pop star kind of knots my gut.
Sure Michael Jackson was talented, could sing and dance, but Elvis
started it all with the sexy shake of his hips.

Got any great Elvis stories?
I'd love to hear them.
Thanks for sharing,
Tara Nina
www.taranina.com

1 comment:

Lynn LaFleur said...

I remember so vividly when I heard that Elvis had died. My hubby and I had some work done on his pickup, and I dropped him off to pick it up. I had the radio tuned to the Oldies station in Seattle. The DJ came on and said that Elvis had died, then he played "In The Ghetto." Wow, talk about goose bumps! A legend was gone. I couldn't believe it.

I like a lot of Michael Jackson's songs. I'm one of the millions who own his Thriller CD. It's sad that two such huge men in the music industry had to die so young. Luckily for us, they'll live forever on the radio and our iPods.

Lynn