Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Year’s Resolutions Check Up

Now, I’m not a big one for New Year’s Resolutions. They always seem so strict and really, do you want to start off the New Year denying yourself all the things that made the old year fun?

On the other hand, I do think the turning of the calendar is a good time to refocus and put some extra effort into making positive changes. For 2009, I decided to reenergize my efforts to get fit (comes in two parts) and to focus on my writing more.

We’re almost three weeks into 2009 and now is that time resolutions start to crumble and we remember why we didn’t do all the things we’ve resolved to do. They are usually hard and not as much fun. Still, it’s a good time to check up on your resolutions (if you made them) or if you just wanted to make some changes, are they still happening?

Here’s my check up…

My two-part plan to get fit, not surprisingly, involves losing weight and being more active.

So, after almost three weeks, I’m going strong on the weight loss/better eating. Now’s when boredom sets in and I’m going to have to shift menus so I don’t revert back to poor habits. I had forgotten how much more organized you have to be when trying to lose weight. Can’t just run out at lunch (fast food is NOT my friend) or grab a scone (ooh flour and butter) for a snack. On the upside, I already feel sleeker. Don’t know if it’s real or not but I’m letting the happy little fantasy live in my mind.

Working out/being active isn’t quite a habit yet. I still have to drag myself to the treadmill (too cold/icy/slushy/wet to be outside) but I’m using DVDs to keep me going longer. I have a collection of Murder She Wrote and Queer As Folk to entertain me on the walks to nowhere (how’s that for extreme ends of the sexy spectrum?).

As for my writing focus…it’s a little fuzzy. I gave myself a hard deadline to finish the two werewolf books that have been lingering in my mind. Wednesday they go to my editor (hopefully with much rejoicing) and then I’m going to plan my writing year. I’ve got a few projects off my normal scope that will take some time but I think I’m ready to put in the effort and stretch myself a bit.

How are you doing on your New Year’s Resolutions? Did you make ‘em? It’s a good time to check in with yourself—no blame, no guilt, just a little refocus.

3 comments:

N.J.Walters said...

Great resolutions, Tielle. I made the same ones. LOL

I admit that I haven't done much the past few weeks. It's been cold and dark and...winter.

My biggest problem with food is chocolate and sugar. I eat fairly well other than that. My other downfall is lack of exercise. I began anew today and worked out and hope to do so five days a week.

As for writing. I have written down my writing goals for the year. I figure I'll check back in early May and see where I am with that. So far, so good.

Good luck with both your goals this year!

Lynn LaFleur said...

Diet and exercise. Phooey. Neither of those is any fun.

Like NJ, my biggie is chocolate. I am a complete chocoholic and there's no hope for that. But I'm eating less of it, so that's good. I've cut my sodas back from three a day (yes, I know that's a lot) to two. I hope to get that down to one soon. I can't give up my Dr Pepper. You might as well go ahead and shoot me if I can't have my DP.

I've started walking again, slowly. I have to build back up so I don't pant so hard after walking ten feet. It's amazing how long it takes to get into shape and how quickly you get out of shape. There's something wrong with that program.

My goal is to lose a pound a week. So far, so good!

Lynn

Titania Ladley said...

Tielle, your resolutions sound very familiar. :D My treadmill needs to go to the shop for repairs at the moment, so I've started rotating different DVD workouts instead. Biggest Loser has several really good ones that can be used for all levels. I alternate 3 different ones to prevent boredom and slacking. :)

NJ and Lynn, I soo hear you on chocolate! It got so bad for me, I started substituting Hershey's Sugar-Free Special Dark Chocolate and I tell you, seriously, I really can't tell a difference. Give it a try!

Here's wishing everyone success in their 2009 goals!

Titania